LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

i was given a dog by a friend because they could no longer

i was given a dog by a friend because they could no longer look after it. When i applied to have the microchip details changed the original owner of the dog said he now wanted the dog back. There has been two other owners since the original one. When we got the dog it had been neglected and beaten. Can i keep the dog or does it have to go back to the original owner .
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello. I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience I will try to help you with this. If the original owner gave away or sold the dog to another owner who passed it on similarly to another and then they to another and then that third owner gave you the dog then the dog is yours and the old owner can not claim it back. It is property that has been passed on and belongs to you. The original owner could only claim it back if he is saying that the dog was only lent to someone else who then passed it on without his permission or that the dog was stolen.