75100385

Re Mortgage Protection Policies I sell my house, pay off

Re Mortgage Protection Policies
I sell my house, pay off my mortgage, buy a new house with a new mortgage and new MP policy.
I realise 7 years later that I did not cancel my bank DD and have still been paying premiums on the MP policy on the house I sold 7 years ago!!I have now cancelled the DD.
Am I entitled to the return of the overpaid premiums from the insurance co ?

Frank Phipps

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

If you have not been using it then yes.

Alex Watts :

But you would only be entitled to premiums for the last 6 years, nothing beyond that because of the Limitation Act 1980

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Please clarify "If you have....." I have had absolutely no connection with the house since I sold it

Alex Watts :

Yes I understand.

Alex Watts :

But you can only claim the last 6 years back

Alex Watts :

Does that clarify?

Customer:

Yes. What law do I quote to Aviva?

Alex Watts :

Limitation Act 1980 - last 6 years.

Alex Watts :

Also Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1982 - you have paid for something you do not need, nor have use of

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX are right !!