UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience

in uk law of contract if both parties make misrepresentation

in uk law of contract if both parties make misrepresentation at outset and one party loses money (me ) then can i void contract on basis on alot of misresentations by other side
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

UKSolicitorJA : Hello
UKSolicitorJA : could you give further information please about the nature of the contract and the misrepresentations

contract law .....and terms attached

UKSolicitorJA : What was the contract for?

i would rather not say ...just contract law and emails exchange stating mispresentations before i deposited money which i lost subesequently

UKSolicitorJA : Okay
UKSolicitorJA : yes, you may argue that the contract is voidable on grounds of the misrepresentation
UKSolicitorJA : the contract is not void

i made misrepentation also contract still voidable

UKSolicitorJA : however, if you also engaged in misrepresentation as did the other party, then the court may not take any side

do i lose my money

UKSolicitorJA : the best thing is to try and settle the matter amicably with the other party rather than going to court

i tried no success

UKSolicitorJA : tell them that you treat the contract as not existing and that neither you nor them are legally obliged under it
UKSolicitorJA : see what they have to say
UKSolicitorJA : if you cannot agree with them to resolve the issue satisfactorily, then the courts will have the final say if it goes to court

I made statement of my financial statement which was false ...they promised me false statements ..i lost money

UKSolicitorJA : Did they lose anything?

UKSolicitorJA : Are they claiming anything from your.

losses on contract

UKSolicitorJA : sorry, excuse the typo. Are they claiming anything from you?

i lost my money on contract performance

UKSolicitorJA : In that case they will have to file a court claim against you if you do not accept liability for their losses
UKSolicitorJA : The courts may or may not hold you liable

it was legally binding contract ..they kept moeny but now i am claiming mispresentation to void contract but they will counter argue my misresentation...

UKSolicitorJA : there is no yes or no answer here as without knowing full facts and details, it is all theoretical at the moment.
UKSolicitorJA : But yes, you could argue that the contract is voidable on grounds of misrepresentation

even if i misrepented as well

UKSolicitorJA : however, he who seeks equity must do equity and the court will expect you to come to court with clean hands if it is to side with you
UKSolicitorJA : if you misrepresented as well, then the court will try and find a fair position for both of you
UKSolicitorJA : by meeting both of you in the middle for example
UKSolicitorJA : Hope this helps. Please take a second to leave feedback

it was totally unfair contract ..only downside is i misreprented my financial position

UKSolicitorJA : The courts will not try and make a bad bargain bad for you I am afraid
UKSolicitorJA : Good for you
UKSolicitorJA : usually courts leave it up to the parties to negotiate the terms of the contract

there are alot of breach by other side also

UKSolicitorJA : The courts will look at both your side and their side and then come to a decision

my only weakness is my one mispresentation

UKSolicitorJA : if they are also in breach and as you say they also misrepresented facts, then the court will not grant them total relief

i was pressurised inton it

tele sales and phone calls

UKSolicitorJA : you can argue that you were under duress
UKSolicitorJA : and that is another ground for setting aside the contract

no threats just pressure

UKSolicitorJA : you can say that the pressure meant that you were not thinking freely
UKSolicitorJA : and did not freely enter into the contract
UKSolicitorJA : All the best

they made series of misrepresentation to keep me in loss making contract

they withheld information

estimate of my loss responsbility

UKSolicitorJA : From what you say, you appear to have a good case for challenging their claims

any estimate with my one mispresentation

UKSolicitorJA : I would say more than 50% in your favour but the court will have the final say once it has heard both sides and seen any evidence presented to it
UKSolicitorJA : hope this helps

will i be held accountable for some of losses

i was under duress

any other factors which would void contract is my favour

UKSolicitorJA : You may be held accountable for some of the losses

any guess portion

even though my money

UKSolicitorJA : You may also try and argue that it was impossible for you to perform the contract
UKSolicitorJA : difficult for me to advise further as I do not know further details
UKSolicitorJA : I am logging out shortly

under what action

UKSolicitorJA : please remember to leave feedback so I am credited for my time

it was impossible to perform ...i had illness

but other side did not know

UKSolicitorJA : You could argue the illness point as well
UKSolicitorJA : any medical evidence of your illness should help your case

any other grounds

UKSolicitorJA : Frustration is also a ground
UKSolicitorJA : All the best
UKSolicitorJA : I am going offline now
UKSolicitorJA : I have covered everything for you

frustration is very difficult to prove

UKSolicitorJA : Hello,
UKSolicitorJA : Can I help you further?
UKSolicitorJA : i see you have left negative feedback
UKSolicitorJA : I see you have left negative feedback and hope you will change your mind
UKSolicitorJA : i have helped you as best as I can and given you all possible grounds to challenge their clai,
UKSolicitorJA : clsim
UKSolicitorJA : claim

what level of apportionment of my loss would court deem reasonable for my to lose based on limited information where i made one mosreprentation , they made 4 mosrepresentations , they withheld information , i acted under 2 years of duress ,frustration although very diffcult to prove could be argued...

UKSolicitorJA : I will be happy to continue but you have left negative feedback
UKSolicitorJA : if that was a mistake, you can change your mind

i need a final answer you left early

UKSolicitorJA : I was just having some dinner :-)

UKSolicitorJA : you can change your rating

if you finish

UKSolicitorJA : You could be held to be 20-25% liable
UKSolicitorJA : from what you have said
UKSolicitorJA : i hope this clarifies?

thanks changed to excellent

UKSolicitorJA : great, welcome and all the best
UKSolicitorJA : Please remember to change your rating
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience