UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

my adult brother was excluded from my mothers will she left

Customer Question

my adult brother was excluded from my mothers will she left everything to me.. if my brother makes a claim under the 1975 inheritance act [ the estate was around £178k ]
is he likely to awarded anything from the estate ?
and what might my probable legal fee be
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

UKSolicitorJA : Hello,
UKSolicitorJA : was he financially dependent on your late mother?
UKSolicitorJA : Why do you see him contesting her will?
JACUSTOMER-oev5oww2- :

no he was not financially dependent on my mother.

JACUSTOMER-oev5oww2- :

the solicitor dealing with the will says my brother may have a claim under the 1975 inheritance act.

JACUSTOMER-oev5oww2- :

I see him possibly claiming for 2 reasons they are... greed and there are alot of firms out there

JACUSTOMER-oev5oww2- :

who contest wills on a no win no fee basis

UKSolicitorJA : Thank you
UKSolicitorJA : There is no legal obligation to provide for adult children in a person's will
UKSolicitorJA : although there is a moral argument for doing so
UKSolicitorJA : if no provision is made, the court will ask whether it was unreasonable or not for your late mother not to provide for your brother in her Will
UKSolicitorJA : The main grounds considered are as follows
UKSolicitorJA : the financial resources and needs (now and in the future) of the applicant;the financial resources and needs (now and in the future) of other applicants;the financial resources and needs (now and in the future) of the beneficiaries of the estate;the obligations and responsibilities of the deceased towards any applicant or beneficiary of the estate;the size and nature of the net estate of the deceased;the physical and mental disabilities of the applicant or any beneficiary of the estate; and any other matter which the court might consider relevant, including the conduct of any parties.
UKSolicitorJA : I have insufficient information at hand to say whether or not it is likely that the court will vary her Will in favour of your brother
UKSolicitorJA : your legal fees may be a few thousand pounds
UKSolicitorJA : If there is a good reason for your late mother shutting your brother out of her will, then it is unlikely that he will get anything
UKSolicitorJA : can I help further?
JACUSTOMER-oev5oww2- :

as both my brother and I have similar financial resourses and are both in good health [ so no special needs ] is a court likely to uphold

JACUSTOMER-oev5oww2- :

my mothers will?..... and if he does kickoff is it worth taking to a high powered / high profile firm and perhaps seeing if they can act for me after all quality can often prove the best value for money over the long term

UKSolicitorJA : All the best
UKSolicitorJA : Yes, a court may uphold your mother's Will if he is on equal footing as you and having a good firm of lawyers acting for you always helps.