tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I took on a three year tenancy just over two years ago. There

Customer Question

I took on a three year tenancy just over two years ago. There has been ongoing problems with the property which has involved repairs. The main problem is dampness and mould which I believe has had an effect on my health, since living here I have been diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms. I notified the landlord almost two years ago about the problem but he has never put it right. Can I get out because of my health issues, I am seventy years old and disabled.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is Tony, I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

This sounds like the house is simply not fit for human habitation. This is an essential requirement for any residential letting - that the person living there can safely live there and it is fit for this purpose.

tdlawyer :

If the landlord contnuinally refuses to resolve this, and you are being made unwell because of it, then you would likely be entitled to end the tenancy agreement and move out.

tdlawyer :

You would need to give the landlord a clear letter to this effect, so he knew that you were going to end the tenancy.

JACUSTOMER-gse25iv8- :

I have told the landlord and also sent a letter from my doctor explaining the pulmonary embolisms etc.

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then see what his reply is, and if he refuses to rectify the problem for you quickly now, then you would be entitled to walk away from the premises as this is damaging to your health. It sounds unfit for habitation.