FOR JO C Hello Jo I didnt use a solicitor at the police

Customer Question

Hello Jo

I didn't use a solicitor at the police station. I wasn't thinking straight. Can I go back to speak to a duty solicitor or attend with a solicitor to see if the police can take the case out of court. I'm worried about what going to court can do to my life (losing or not getting a job).

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What type of case is this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This was the case I spoke to you earlier about. My name is Afua. I have one previous caution for shoplifting in 2009 and a fine for shoplifting in 2010. When I was taken to the police this year for shoplifting again, I didn't use a duty solicitor and the police have charged me and I'm due in court to see the magistrate on Thursday. I really don't want to go to court and trying to see if the police can stop the case from going to court, if I went in to speak to a duty solicitor or if I went with a solicitor. I'm an engineer and afraid this silly lapse of judgement can cause me to lose my job or be unable to find work in the future. The goods were worth £130, the store recovered all. I've also received a letter from the store's solicitors asking me to pay £179. Going to court for more fines and a criminal record will just be too much for me to handle. Please advise.

I'm really sorry but thats just plain not going to be possible.

If you give an interview at the police station then anything that you have said becomes evidence save for certain exceptions. If its just that you made a mistake in not having a solicitor and the police have gathered evidence against you for that reason then there is nothing that can be done to put that right.

You can instruct a solicitor to attend court although if this is a theft shoplifting then probably they would tell you to use the duty solicitor at court.

But its not likely that anything could be done about the charge. Since you already have a caution and a fine really only a charge was appropriate anyway.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.