How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70105
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

FOR JO C Hello Jo I didnt use a solicitor at the police

Customer Question


Hello Jo

I didn't use a solicitor at the police station. I wasn't thinking straight. Can I go back to speak to a duty solicitor or attend with a solicitor to see if the police can take the case out of court. I'm worried about what going to court can do to my life (losing or not getting a job).


Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What type of case is this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This was the case I spoke to you earlier about. My name is Afua. I have one previous caution for shoplifting in 2009 and a fine for shoplifting in 2010. When I was taken to the police this year for shoplifting again, I didn't use a duty solicitor and the police have charged me and I'm due in court to see the magistrate on Thursday. I really don't want to go to court and trying to see if the police can stop the case from going to court, if I went in to speak to a duty solicitor or if I went with a solicitor. I'm an engineer and afraid this silly lapse of judgement can cause me to lose my job or be unable to find work in the future. The goods were worth £130, the store recovered all. I've also received a letter from the store's solicitors asking me to pay £179. Going to court for more fines and a criminal record will just be too much for me to handle. Please advise.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

I'm really sorry but thats just plain not going to be possible.

If you give an interview at the police station then anything that you have said becomes evidence save for certain exceptions. If its just that you made a mistake in not having a solicitor and the police have gathered evidence against you for that reason then there is nothing that can be done to put that right.

You can instruct a solicitor to attend court although if this is a theft shoplifting then probably they would tell you to use the duty solicitor at court.

But its not likely that anything could be done about the charge. Since you already have a caution and a fine really only a charge was appropriate anyway.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice