13262538

I have been divorced since 12 July 2002 and have been paying

Customer Question

I have been divorced since 12 July 2002 and have been paying my ex wife £200 per month maintenance since that date. I have recently been advised that the maintenance should end either on my 70th birthday which is in October this year or on my ex's 70th which is in June 2015 next year. I can not find any reference to this in any of the divorce papers from the court or my old solicitor who has since retired. Can you please advise me and tell me if there is any action I have to take.
I believe my ex is planning to get married next year when she reaches 70 which seems to confirm the advice I have been given as she would not do anything to risk losing the maintenance.
S B Tomkinson
have you found a copy of the Financial Order which was made which set up the maintenance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't believe I had a copy of the financial order, all the information I have is in a letter from the solicitor which goes into great detail about the divorce all but an end date to the maintenance. I had thought it would continue until one of us dies until a mutual friend told me of my ex's plans

Do you have any paperwork that has the Court number on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

I have a copy a letter from Stoke on Trent County Court which says the divorce is final and absolute. The number on the letter is SQ00D01141.

Hope this helps

Then you need to write to the Court - quoting that number and asking them to supply a copy of the Financial Order.
There is no other way of being certain when the payments should stop as there is certainly no automatic reason why it would end then
I hope that this is of assistance - of you need to follow this up when you get a copy of the Order then please do so