tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

In September 2013 I accidently reversed my car into the garage

In September 2013 I accidently reversed my car into the garage in the car park of our local social club and damaged two panels of precast concrete. I admitted the accident and agreed to pay for the damage. I was sent a letter asking for the payment of £840. I requested a breakdown of the £840. I then received an invoice stating the payment was for (1) the labour for replacing the damaged panels (2) the labour for replacing electrical parts and (3) theparts that had to be replaced. I paid the club in December. To date nothing as been done to repair the Garage. It now appears that the Club is going to demolish the garage to make way for 2 disabled parking spaces and build a shed to store provisions for the club food menu. Can you tell me if the Club is legally allowed to keep my money if it is not being used for the purpose for which I paid it
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Regrettably, I believe that the club, in the circumstances, is likely to be to retain the money that you have paid. This is because they asked for a sum of money, and you paid it, whether they then use that the purpose for which it was paid is irrelevant from a legal perspective.

tdlawyer :

However, it is a small amount, and you might be able to negotiate repayment of some money, given that it does seem very unfair to them to be able to retain it.

tdlawyer :

I say this is based upon the fact that you could issue a small claim, in the Small Claims Court, which would be dealt with very quickly and informally.

tdlawyer :

There would be no appreciable risk to you of lawyers costs being ordered against you so long as you behave reasonably in the conduct of the court proceedings in the small claims system.