Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

my dad lived with a woman for 40 years he has now died they

Customer Question

my dad lived with a woman for 40 years he has now died they bought a property together but in her name she is in hospital and will probably never return home am i entitled to anything
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. I regret to say that you only have rights in relation to your Dad's estate. This comprises only the assets he owned. If a property was bought in the name of the woman with whom your father lived, then that is hers. As son of her former partner, you have no rights in relation to her assets. So I regret to say that even though your father might or did contribute to the buying of this assets in the name of this woman he was with, you have no rights in relation to it. You can only claim a share in your father's own assets at the date of death.

JACUSTOMER-lz8hhoj5- :

i am sorry am i entitled to collect my fathers possessions from the flat i have evidence of them living together and my dad had no bank account and had his money paid in to the womans account they also ran a buisness together in the eighties which funded the sale of the property and my dad was her carer

Buachaill :

?