Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

married in U S A BUT WAS LIVING IN THE u k have a property

Customer Question

married in U S A BUT WAS LIVING IN THE u k have a property bank account and other things in MADEN NAME . DO BY LAW I HAVE TO CHANGE EVERY THING IN MY MARRIED NAME OR I CAN KEEP WHAT I HAVE BEFORE I GOT MARRIED IN MADEN NAME IN u k
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

Legally you do not have to either change your name or tell your bank.

However the bank may have its own policies as to how you have to keep them up dated. If the census has your married name then bank policy may require that you keep them updated.

I would recommend you consider changing it in case you need to do something urgent in the future the bank dont then unnecessarily delay because your records do not match.

What do you have on your passport for example is it still your maiden name? This is the sort of ID a bank requires if you have to go and change any major details?

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Just as a follow up:

One of my colleagues has noted that you are legally entitled to use both names and the bank cannot force you to change your name.

I would just like to reiterate from a practical point of view unless the bank are aware of your marital situation, it may slow things down if you go into the bank with an ID that has a different name.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I send a second letter but you did not answer my questions

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

I am happy to answer any follow up points on this thread.

Please post them here and I will respond.

I just have to go off line, so please do not be concerned if you do not hear from me right away I will respond by this evening.

AJ