tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

My family rented a 5 bedroom Viila on the costa del sol from

My family rented a 5 bedroom Viila on the costa del sol from a company based in the uk.
We had so many complaints about the Villa that on our return to the UK we wrote to register our complanits resulting in a Cheque for compensation of £125.00.
Totaly inadequate considering the cost of rental exceeded £1200.00 and we had been advised that we would have been well within our rights to ask for either an alternative villa or hotel accommodation whilst the existing villa was fumigated.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

HI thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

£125 for a spolied holiday does sound rather low. There is never any scientific way of measuring what an appropriate sum is though, as each case is different and the court has to make a best guess of what damages for dissapointment etc. should be.

tdlawyer :

There are cases where damages are in their several thousands, for spoiled cruises, which were "lifetime" cruises, and your break sounds like it was supposed to be something luxurious without the issues you experienced.

Customer:

We paid over £12oo for a five bedroom villa that had on our arrival a broken dishwasher for two days, a badly contaminated swimming pool for the first 24 hours and a very badly ant invested villa making one bedroom uninhabitable for three nights. During our one week stay, the vila representative had to vist us ever single day to put right our complaints. The Villa representative admitted that we had been very understanding considering ourreasonable complaints and advised we write to the the rental company on our return to the uk and thgat she would support our complaints.

Customer:

If the rental company refuses to make an improved offer, do you believe we should just accept the £125.00 or take further action

tdlawyer :

To be honest, I'd take further action and issue a small claim in the county court.

tdlawyer :

There is no real risk to you in doing this, apart maybe from losing the court fee, and you might get a higher sum awarded by a judge. I expect they'll try and settle with you though if you sue them.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice.

tdlawyer :

Thank you. XXXXX ask if you're happy with the service today?

Customer:

Derek Moffatt