LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Lease hold flat with long lease . We would like to rent( or

Customer Question

Lease hold flat with long lease . We would like to rent( or sublet ) this flat .The freeholder asking £650.00 for licence to sublet and drew a very complex contract for the prospecting tenant on assured tenancy agreement to sign before granting above license.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience i will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Why has the freeholder got any say in whether you lease out your flat? ( I assume that by long lease you mean you hold a leasehold interest in the flat meaning it was originally granted for 70+ years).

JACUSTOMER-6duqrxtm- : The lease of the flat was extended in 2010 to 140 years with pepricorn ground rent.According to lease we have obtain a licence to to sublet the flat.
JACUSTOMER-6duqrxtm- : My question is
JACUSTOMER-6duqrxtm- : a. Can the freeholder ask as much as £ 650, when the LVT ruled that it should around £40
JACUSTOMER-6duqrxtm- : b. Can the freeholder ask the prospect tenant sign a complex contract on 3 pages before giving above licence.?
LondonlawyerJ :

(a) Why has the freeholder got any financial interest in this? is ther a term in your lease which allows them to charge.

LondonlawyerJ :

(b) Unless there is something in your lease giving the freeholder the right to impose conditions then I don't see why the terms of the tenancy you want to grant are any of their business.

LondonlawyerJ :

So does your lease agreement give them the right to charge and to interfere.