12826847

Looked at incest sites and police have frozen my files

Customer Question

Looked at incest porn sites and police have frozen my files is this an infringement of my civil rights?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

downloaded files over a number of months for own gratification. went online yesterday and the computer was frozen saing I had been charged with an offense

That actually might not be the police. They do not charge people in that way. There is a well known scam in the UK where people blackmail others in your position.

However, obviously you have committed an offence potentially depending on the images so you cannot afford to be complacent.

The police are free to remove your computer and devices connecting to the internet for forensic examination and, indeed, as part of a bail condition. That hasn't happened yet because you haven't been arrested but they do have the power to do that.

That obviously does amount to some infringements upon your freedom but its within reasonable limits because they are investigating an offence.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was dubious as to the web page containing advertisements for other products but in this time of austerity we can never be sure what steps are taken by public bodies to generate cash. But thank you for this information it has lifted a weight from my shoulders

No problem and all the best.

Obviously stop accessing unlawful sites though.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What dud you mean by not getting complacent
You cannot presume that this is definitively not going to come to police attention
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should i get rid of hard rive//
It is probably a good idea.

They can check at the other end if the site has been accessed by your IP address but its best to get rid of anything at your end that might be connected and start afresh without committing offences this time!