12826847

I rented a property from 2004 and moved out in Jan 2014. I

Customer Question

I rented a property from 2004 and moved out in Jan 2014. I paid £500 deposit in 2004 which the landlord holds. I am trying to claim the deposit back and the property was left in good order. I owe the landlord 1 weeks rent (£130.00) from the deposit as I was only able to give her 3 weeks notice. This I accept. The landlord has said that I have to pay for the lounge (beige) carpet to be replaced as otherwise it would cost her to replace it. I lived in the property for 10 years and raised a family in the property. The property downstairs only had a lounge and kitchen. There is no dining room and the lounge area is the main through fare.There is nothing in the initial agreement to say I have to replace the carpet. what is reasonable ? Since I left in January I have had difficulty in contacting the landlord who said that they have been ill and my agreement said that deposit should be paid within 25 days. The landlord is very illusive !!!! what rights do I have in trying to have my deposit returned and reasonable deductions. regards Louise

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What is wrong with the carpet ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

After 10 years of wear (carpet new )with the carpet being a light beige colour it is quite badly stained and would need to be replaced if property was then rented out to new tenants

If its just that the colour has changed with use then he isn't entitled to anything at all. That is reasonable wear and tear.

In any event, after 10 years the value would have diminished to almost nothing. Carpets are though to diminish in value at the rate of 20% every year so after 10 years this is likely to be worthless.

This is just a landlord trying to make you liable for his repairing obligations and he would not get away with that at court.

It would be different if there were, for instance, cigarette burns over the carpet or pain stains. Then you are liable. This is just wear and tear though use.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/