tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hello, Ive just had someone steal all of my design, photos

Customer Question

Hello, I've just had someone steal all of my design, photos and icons for an app I am developing and they have launched it before me on iTunes using all of my work! I need to help in what can be done to stop this developer!
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

Customer:

Hello, need advise, someone has just stollen all my artwork, design and even photos of my face to launch an app :( I am working on an app which will do the same thing, but they beat me to it and have used all of my work.

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then it sounds like you need a High Court injunction to prevent them using copyrighted materials.

tdlawyer :

You can do this yourself, obviously, but I would sternly advise you get a solicitor to do it for you.

tdlawyer :

It's complex stuff.

Customer:

ok :(

Customer:

Anything else I need to do or is that it?

tdlawyer :

iTunes might be able to assist in the meantime, to prevent them approving the app, for example, or perhaps suspending the right for it to be in the app store, but ultimately, the final say would belong to the Court.

tdlawyer :

Is the app worth a lot potentially?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

yes

tdlawyer :

Okay. Has it been published already?

tdlawyer :

Using your artwork etc?

Customer:

I have over 10k followers all of whom are waiting for my app and I have about 5k daily hit on my website

Customer:

yes using all of my artwork and even stupid enought to use a photo of my face!

Customer:

yes its published and on itunes

Customer:

a follower of mine actually alerted in to me this morning and even they know someone had stolen my work

tdlawyer :

Okay. You could, in theory, get an injunction this weekend if you consider this urgent enough, but perhaps it's more realistic to wait until Monday to see a specialist commercial litigation/IP lawyer to take action then. Again, he would be able to get this into Court, if needed on the same day or next day. The court has the ability to do this, you just need to make sure you get lawyers that can work quickly enough to make it happen.

tdlawyer :

You can claim damages or an account of profits for money made through use of your copyrighted materials too.

Customer:

Ok that sounds good

Customer:

thing is I have not placed any copyright anywhere is this a problem? I do however have all of my work on my site and instagram as proof its my ideas

tdlawyer :

No, you only need to show you created them. You don't have to register them or place the (c) symbol anywhere to have copyright protection.

Customer:

Perfect!

Customer:

Ok thanks for your help

tdlawyer :

tdlawyer :

Is there anything else I can assist with?

Customer:

No that's all

tdlawyer :

Okay. Are you happy with the service today?

Customer:

Yes happy