75100385

Recently I rejoined a social club hosted by meetup. Subsequently,

Recently I rejoined a social club hosted by meetup. Subsequently, I RVSP'd yes to several events. A few days later, after a PERSONAL argument with one of the co-organisers, I found that all the events he was running had changed my RSVP to no. I changed them back and posted a comment on the app, querying it. He then banned me and refused to give me a reason why when I sent an email to all the organisers from the email advising me that I'd been removed from the group. I have been removed from other meetup groups but they sent an email advising me why and inviting me to rejoin if my situation changed. In this instance there has been no advisory email nor a response to my email to the organiser. I believe that is victimisation of me as first the RSVPs were changed after the argument and then I was banned when I queried it. Do I have any recourse in law? .The club has 150 members.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Does the club have rules and a constitution please?

Customer:

Meetup itself has a constitution but I don't think that the individual group has.

Alex Watts : I see. Removed from meetup or the individual group please a.
Customer:

Individual group

Alex Watts : It's bad news then I am afraid.
Alex Watts : If the group have no constitution then they are able to exclude who they want and for any reason, as long as it is not on the grounds of sex, race, religion, disability etc.
Alex Watts : They are a group of people and can exclude who they want. Without any rules it would be impossible to challenge.
Customer:

Ok thank you. Does that apply to photos on their website which contain me? 8

Customer:

ok thank you. Does that apply to photos on the website which contain me? If they are entitled to ban whom they want then surely they don't have rights over using my image as well? I have emailed the person who both took the photo and posted it online to remove or at least crop me out of it. They have not replied as yet. I have also sought advice from the meetup HQ but again I do not feel as though they will be helpful.

Alex Watts : If you have been thrown out you can ask them to remove your image yes.
Alex Watts : They are not entitled to use it without consent.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?
Customer:

Do I have any recourse if they will not remove it after a reasonable period of time? I know that this probably sounds a bit petty now but the whole thing has upset me.

Alex Watts :

Well in reality no.

Alex Watts :

You can't sue for compensation as I assume you agreed to it being published at the time

Alex Watts :

I am sorry

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

No there is nothing else. Thank you

Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Customer:

Thank you for your help.