29905560

I am Programme Secretary for a Social Club. The Chair of the

Customer Question

I am Programme Secretary for a Social Club. The Chair of the Committee continually verbally abuses me on the phone and at meetings. We had an AGM yesterday and she sacked me from my post. I know that she did this because she wants to take over the programme. Not only does she abuse me but members of the Club on the phone and when out on outings. Yesterday's AGM was appaling. She told lies about members and myself and shouted most of the time. Can I have a letter or restraining notice written to her.or what action should I take.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Have you approached her about this yet?

JACUSTOMER-28uob5mu- :

Yes I have. She doesn't care.

Ben Jones :

what are you hoping to achieve in this situation?

JACUSTOMER-28uob5mu- :

I wish to continue typing the programme and leading outings. I've been a member for fourteen years. She has only been a member for seven.

Ben Jones :

I presume you were not an employee, just a member of the club?

JACUSTOMER-28uob5mu- :

I do the work voluntarily.

Ben Jones :

Ensuring that you remain as the Programme Secretary is not going to be easy unfortunately, especially if those in charge of the club do not want you to do so. You have very few rights in that respect, because you are simply a volunteer - you do not have any specific legal rights to remain in that position or to force the club to retain your services in any way. So that won't really be possible if the club (and specifically those that make the decisions) no longer want you there.

JACUSTOMER-28uob5mu- :

I haven't received your typed reply. The club members do want me there and they are very sad at what has happened.

Ben Jones :

my reply is above - the members may want you there but your position is decided by those that actually run the club, not the members

Ben Jones :

Did you see my reply above or are you having trouble viewing it?

JACUSTOMER-28uob5mu- :

I did see your reply. The Club isn't run by anybody specifically. We have a Chair/Membership Secretary, Treasurer and Programme Secretary (myself). and three committee members. Then there are 85 other members. We all take part in leading outings and putting events in the programme. I am surprised that the Chair is allowed to rant at me down my phone and bang the receiver on, and abuse me in the street. The things that she says are mostly lies. I would have thought this was slander.

Ben Jones :

That is potential slander but it would not change your rights to keeping the position in any way. Also a claim for slander will easily set you back a five-figure sum to pursue so it is quite unrealistic. It certainly does not stop you from raising this as an argument with the club and accusing them of it but to actually pursue it is a different matter.

Ben Jones :

Does this clarify things?

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks