tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hi, I have received a letter from a debt collection agency

Customer Question

I have received a letter from a debt collection agency saying i owe 1,500 pounds to H M Revenue. This is a matter that i thought was solved 7 years ago!! My main concern is that i didnt think that the H M Revenue went through debt collecting agencies, and that if i really owed this money then they would have dealt with it themselves, is this true please??? thankyou

Mrs Deborah Shelton
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

HMRC does use debt collect agencies.

tdlawyer :

But what you need to do, is ask them to demonstrate why they, as people you've never dealt with, say that money is owed to them.

tdlawyer :

You should ask for any documentary evidence to back up their claims.

tdlawyer :

If they say the debt has been assigned, then you want the assignment documentation, which will show you whether HMRC has assigned/sold the debt,

tdlawyer :

If they say they're just collecting the debt, you need to ask for the form of authority that HMRC will have signed/entered into with them to allow the debt to be collected on their behalf.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry where is my answer???

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where am i looking for my answer please????

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
Your answer was posted in the chat forum. Here it is, if you require anything else, just let me know:

tdlawyer : Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.
tdlawyer : HMRC does use debt collect agencies.
tdlawyer : But what you need to do, is ask them to demonstrate why they, as people you've never dealt with, say that money is owed to them.
tdlawyer : You should ask for any documentary evidence to back up their claims.
tdlawyer : If they say the debt has been assigned, then you want the assignment documentation, which will show you whether HMRC has assigned/sold the debt,
tdlawyer : If they say they're just collecting the debt, you need to ask for the form of authority that HMRC will have signed/entered into with them to allow the debt to be collected on their behalf.

Tony