LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

hello, I am a leaseholder of a shared ownership property and

Customer Question

hello, I am a leaseholder of a shared ownership property and I need to find out if the parking bay set out in my lease diagram means that i have to be consulted or give permission for cars parked on my designated bay to be issued tickets by a private contractor the housing association have decided to use. I have been issued a number of tickets and spoken to the housing association who, instead of requesting the cancelling the tickets, have told me to appeal to the contractor and start paying for a annual permit.
I have lived at the property since purchase in 2002.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Nicola,

I appreciate your efforts and can wait

nj

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this. I take it you are a long leaseholder rather than a shorter term tenant. You say that there is a lease diagram showing a parking spot as yours. You will need to consult your leasehold agreement and/or the letters form your solicitor at time of purchase (esp the report on property) to see what the arrangement is with this. It may be part of the property you are leasing or it may be that you have the right to use it subject to the rules and regulations regarding parking in your area.

The answer to your question is likely to depend on this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a 125 year lease and contained within the pages of my counterlease there are diagrams are one of my appartment on a floor layout and another diagram with the carpark layout and the assigned numbered by highlighted. Would the information setting out this be in this pack?

It will probably be in that pack. It may be in there and you need to look for it. Also you should look for the advice you had from your solicitor about what the situation with the parking space was.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not have a solicitor which is why I have tried this portal to try and find an answer.

I have looked in this pack briefly and you mention that it is probably in there, but what would it say if it is part of my lease and as a leaseholder do the housing association not have to enter into consultation before implementing? they have done this at several points regarding contractors.

What I am saying is that you need to find out what the terms around the parking space were when you purchased the lease. This will govern whether you have to pay to park or not. If it is not clear from your lease then you need to either find the letters from your solicitor at the time of purchase or contact him to see if he still has copies of those documents and can send them to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The original solicitors i used are no longer in business but aside from my lease package I did not receive anything else and certainly no letters spelling this out. I was hoping that I could be told exactly what to look for in my lease.