tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

if a company buys my account from NatWest after 8 years must

if a company buys my account from NatWest after 8 years must I pay this I have asked them to send me proof of this account witch they say that they don't have to for a bank account
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

You're right - anybody who tries to sue you must (a) show that they have a right to sue you and (b) there must be a valid basis of claim.

tdlawyer :

They would have to show this to a court and so they should have to show you too.

Customer:

hi tony must I pay this account as it has been 8 years if a company "buys" a dedt then I should only need to pay what they did, if I need to pay them at all

tdlawyer :

The purchasing company acquires not better rights than the selling company. So if you were not liable to the selling company, you're not liable to the buying company. If the debt was too old then, it's too old now - and normally, you have 6 years to bring a claim based on debt, from when the right to bring the cause of action accrued.

tdlawyer :

What you should not do usually in limitation cases is admit the debt or make a part payment - if you do, the time in which a claim has to be made starts again.

tdlawyer :

You wouldn't want that!

tdlawyer :

You should check whether the basis of claim is contract or a deed. If a deed, there is 12 years to pursue the claim. If a contract, it's 6 years. Time runs from when the right to pursue you arises.

Customer:

so as this has been longer than 6 years I don't need to pay them, I have not admitted this debt nor made a offer to pay, would it be better to send them a letter or phone them to let them know

tdlawyer :

Perhaps better to phone, as it's less dangerous that you would say the wrong thing (not that you would, I'm sure).

Customer:

thanks for your help TONY.

tdlawyer :

You're very welcome.

tdlawyer :

Are you happy with the service today please?