75100385

I would like to know how I go about receiving some sort of

Customer Question

I would like to know how I go about receiving some sort of redress, given the ‘fun and games’ I had recently with VIAGOGO…!
I have been to dozens of concerts over the last 5 or 6 years, without issue, however this one has really unravelled my knitting...
I purchased a ticket to see Rick Wakeman in concert from 'Viagogo'. The date advertised was the 1st May at the SECC in Glasgow.
I purchased the ticket on the 21st October 2013, and left it until booking my hotel (£52) in April this year.
I duly took 1.5 days holiday from my annual allowance... travelled the 180miles to Glasgow (28mpg @ 135p per ltr)... had a meal (£13)... booked a taxi… (£20) and turned up at the SECC to find… nobody milling around as normal...!
After enquiring at one of the desks, I was informed that the concert had been rescheduled for 6th May. To add salt to the already raw wounds; on the day of the concert (1st May), I received a text from VIAGOGO: ‘We hope you enjoy today’s event.'...!!!!!
I therefore booked another taxi (£20) back to the hotel, and drove the 180miles home the next day.
While awaiting my taxi, I contacted VIAGOGO to ensure my complaint was recorded, just to hear the lad on the other end quoting: 'We don't seem to have a record of any rescheduling on the concert either?'
I then repeated the whole operation on the 6th May, incurring the same expense [another 1.5 days holiday...360ml trip...Taxi's (£40)... Hotel (£52)... Meal (£13)] - again...!
Between trips, I contacted VIAGOGO through their website, and once again complained (5th May)
I then received a VIAGOGO survey; no guesses what I added to the ‘Comments’ section…!
On the 6th May, VIAGOGO responded to my complaint with:
‘We are not the event organisers, so while we do everything we can to keep our customers informed of changes to event dates and times, occasionally we are not aware that a change has occurred.’
I then received an answer to my survey ‘comments’:
‘We apologise for the mix up with the dates for the concert, due to high volume of event on our website. As a market place we are not the event organisers and we do our best to keep up to date with event changes.’
I then had the SECC confirm exactly when they listed the concert for rescheduling: 28th October 2013…!
Knowing all this, do I have an avenue for redress from VIAGOGO, given my predicament courtesy of VIAGOGO. I had purchased tickets faithfully, on the understanding they were a professional company; however it would appear they are not of sufficient standing within the show community, to be told of a reschedule – 6 months previously, and then warn their customers.
Appreciate your thoughts on this one.
Cheers,
Ray

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Did you check the event was still on before you left please?

JACUSTOMER-7e0u73jq- :

I didn't check the event was still on before I left - I never have done - I was under the assumption (!) that the ticket provider had that responsibility, and would therefore alert me to any issue in that area ie no news is good news...?

Alex Watts : The website is a third party that sells tickets? They are not like ticketmaster, but an authorised tout, is that right?
JACUSTOMER-7e0u73jq- :

Correct. Apologies for not coming back sooner, but I assumed I would get a notification of any answer requiring a response...?

Alex Watts :

If you purchase through someone like Ticketmaster I assume they get notified of any change in venue. Do you know if Viagogo gets notified?

Alex Watts :

As for how the website works, sadly I am only an expert and can't see it from the backend.

JACUSTOMER-7e0u73jq- :

They clearly do not get notified, or they [surely] would have contacted me...?

JACUSTOMER-7e0u73jq- :

Alex, what is the answer to my question; Do I have an avenue available for redress...?