tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I HAVE A SIGNED TENANCY AGREEMENT (6 MONTH AST) SIGNED BY THE

Customer Question

I HAVE A SIGNED TENANCY AGREEMENT (6 MONTH AST) SIGNED BY THE TENANT AND AGENT, HOWEVER THE LANDLORD HAS DECIDED TO SELL AND WANTS TO CANCEL THE TENANCY, TENANTS ARE DUE TO MOVE IN ION THE 26 JUNE 2014. DOES THE TENANT HAVE ANY GROUNDS, ALSO CAN THE AGENT CLAIM LOST REVENUE.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

If there is an agreement in place already, which you say there is, then the agent will be due their commission (if any) on placing the tenant.

tdlawyer :

The tenant will also be entitled to move in, and if the landlord stops this happening (which is what it sounds like), then this would be a breach of the tenancy agreement.

tdlawyer :

This is all based on the fact that there would be no right to cancel under this contract, which there very rarely is.

Customer:

Ok great , it is a tenant find agreement the Landlord manages herself.

tdlawyer :

Okay, so the agent still has to be paid for finding this tenant. The fact that the landlord then tries to cancel is usually irrelevant.

tdlawyer :

Everything depends on the contract terms, of course, as what you agreed is the important thing.

tdlawyer :

But it would be unusual to find an agreement done properly that says anything other than something which puts the agent of the landlord in the better position.

Customer:

Ok Thank you ....

Customer:

The agreement is a straight forward agreement issued by the Letting Centre 2010.

tdlawyer :

Okay. If you wanted to sue the landlord for your commissions, then it's easy to do.

tdlawyer :

you would issue a claim online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

tdlawyer :

Would you be claiming less than £10k?

Customer:

Yes

tdlawyer :

Then it's really easy, really informal and no risk of lawyers costs being awarded against you.

tdlawyer :

That's because it's in the small claims system.

Customer:

Great thank you for you help

tdlawyer :

Thank you very much. Can I ask whether you're happy with the service today?

Customer:

Excellent ...thank you so much