Hi, Our company UK department introduced a new travel policy

Customer Question

Our company UK department introduced a new travel policy that forces all employees no matter the distance of their flight / journey and no matter how often they fly to fly economy only everywhere in the world. I challenged the policy as I am a regular long-distance traveler about 35 hours of flight travel mostly over 5 hours a month saying that such regular travel in an Economy seat with very little leg room, room to move or work and difficult to get up and walk around was potentially a health issue sighting NHS DVT travel guidelines. There response to this and I fear this is to be used against me as an individual is rather than address the policy is to send me for a Medical.

My questions is what potentially could they use the outcome of the medical to do?

Can I refuse the medical?

And is there any UK health HR guidelines for frequent long-haul flying staff.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?
JACUSTOMER-dy9zcju0- : Three years and I hold the post of Business Development Director
Ben Jones :

Hi sorry I was called up in a meeting earlier. There is no specific policy for frequent traveller employees and this will simply be covered by the general laws of health and safety where the employer would have a duty to ensure the health and safety and wellbeing of its employees. How that is done would depend on the specific circumstances and what you are exposed to. I am afraid that I cannot agree that from a legal perspective you are entitled to demand that you are allowed to travel business or first class, even if you are a frequent traveller. You argument is that you are exposed to health issues such as DVT but thousands of frequent travellers fly in economy all the time without any issues and this is more of an inconvenience rather than a risk. You are not confined to your seat for the full flight – you can always ask for an aisle seat to be able to get up and move freely as and when you wish and the fact that you do not have the space afforded to you in more premium classes is not really a health risk.

In terms of the medical, they cannot really do much with it in terms of your job unless it shows that you can no longer perform your duties, in which case they can consider whether redeployment or dismissal is an option but I do not foresee that to be the case. You can of course refuse the medical but then if it would have shown up something you could use in your defence you would not be able to rely on that in your argument to the proposed changes.

Ben Jones :

Hello, I see you have accessed and read my answer to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? I just need to know whether to close the question or not? Thanks