12826847

HI, I am Seyed. I was in the uk for 2.5 years.I stayed 9

Customer Question

HI,
I am Seyed.
I was in the uk for 2.5 years.I stayed 9 months by a family who rented a room to me.
I paid 500 Pounds per month in cash.The problem was that the house was a council house so it was not legal to rent it.can I now ask for my money back as I stayed there from around july 2011 for 9 months.I can provide the evidence which shows I have taken 500 pounds each month from my account.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Did you give notice?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry i do not know the term give notice but i didnt report it to the police and so probably i didnt give any notice

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I only realized it at the end of the procedure . they claimed that they have told me about it but they didnt.

Thanks. I'm sorry if I'm missing the point but on what basis were you hoping to reclaim? You do seem to have lived there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
actually 2100 dollar and 5000 euros were stolen from me in the house.This family from Bangladesh asked my mother to live the house when there was nowhere to go.I have actually lived there but illegully as that was a council house and they didnt tell me about it.
so my question is whether I can ask for my money back or not if I can prove that I have paid money for the house. furthermore the neighbours knew i was living there.
thanks in advance for your reply.
Have you reported that to the police?

When did it happen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not unfortunately I couldnt do that as I was ment to leave the country.

but I would like to if now I can report it to the police and make a case to ask for my money back.

I know the house address and also my account statement.

it actually happened between july of 2011 and 2012 first of spring.

You could report it to the police. Nobody can stop you walking through the doors of a police station.

I have to be honest and open and tell you that the delay will not be in your favour.

In any event though, the police will not recover the sum for you. All they would do possibly is prosecute a person.

To reclaim the sum you will have to sue at the small claims court here

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

and you will have to satisfy the court upon the balance of probabilities that one particular named person is responsible. I don't know whether that is possible for you? If so, its cheap enough to sue and fairly quick.

Of course, they may concede when you issue and pay up. That does happen sometimes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks a lot for the reply i guess i got my answer

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/