75100385

I marketed some confidential information about a portfolio

I marketed some confidential information (provided by a source) about a portfolio of properties to several individuals without the owners permission. Now the owner has found out and very upset and wants me to tell them where I got this sensitive information.

I promised my source that I would not reveal his name if the owner was to find out. Can the court make me reveal my source if taken to court.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Is the information a matter of public record please?
Customer:

not that Im aware of

Alex Watts :

Ok - if you got it from a source then you are not liable.

Alex Watts :

It may be that the person giving you that information has breached the Data Protection Act.

Alex Watts :

However it is only a breach if you have disclosed their names, addresses and personal sensitive information.

Alex Watts :

If they own property, then it is a matter of public record.

Alex Watts :

But even if they are upset they could complain to the Information Commissioner who can investigate

Alex Watts :

But if you obtained it in good faith then you wont be liable.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

thanks. there legal team keep pressing me for the source. do I need to tell them where I revieved the info from?

Alex Watts :

Only if they get a Court Order

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Very much so. And also very quickly. How long can this take?

Alex Watts :

Well it would probably take 2 weeks to a month to get, but you would be notified by the court and could go along and object

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

thank you very much, you've been a great help