13262538

My wife wants to separate from me - there is no adultery but

My wife wants to separate from me - there is no adultery but she is leaving me due to the side effects of type 1 diabetes.
I am hurt and disappointed with her decision at breaking up what was a strong 12 year marriage.
My question is - she took of the wedding/engagement rings and now I have possession of them - am I on dodgy ground legally here with regards XXXXX XXXXX?
I know its an emotional response, but she is giving up on the marriage so really she should hand back the symbol of it
Your thoughts
Grant
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Grant,

Do you intend to keep the rings which you gave her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess I do plan to keep them yes. They clearly mean more to me and I would not want to sell them.

Its not a money thing for me - we are trying the amicable separation (deed of seperation) route but the ownership of rings is not included in that.

Okay, thank you.

If she has returned back the rings to you, you are well within your rights to keep them, normally,they would have belonged to her unless you had expressly told her that they should be returned back to you in the event of the marriage falling apart.

But as she has returned them back to your they are yours to keep.

Can I help further?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you
I am sorry but unless she actually physically gave them back to you - put them in your hands or left them and said "have these back" - as opposed to simply taking them off and leaving them somewhere then they still belong to her and you have no right to retain them
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.