12826847

I have been really stupid. I have been put into a position

I have been really stupid. I have been put into a position of trust and got addicted to gambling. I have unfortunately taken money out of a churchs account and used this on gambling. I have paid back 1000 already and intend to pay back everything I have spent with extra. I have a decent job with income around 1200 and disposable 400. They are bringing in the independent examiner to look at the accounts and im scared as I know I cant face jail as I wouldnt survive. I dont know no what to do please help.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I dont know what to do jo. I cant face jail, i would kill myself, I got stupidly addicted to gambling and have already contacted help in regards XXXXX XXXXX but Im facing severe trouble now. Ive spent thousands.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hello

Thanks.,

What I need to know is what is your question about this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do i do, do i admit, do i go to the police, the church vicar what. Its the first time ive ever done anything so stupid, what would you recommend i do and what is the possible sentencing. Im wanting to pay it back and I have started.

No, admit nothing.

How much is the sum roughly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I honestly dont know 7-10k, theyre bringing in a independent examiner to look over the accounts.

Ok.

If you offer to pay it back do you think they would involve the police?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I really dont know Jo, they are bringing in an independent examiner to look at the accounts. What powers does he have. I stupidly got mixed in with the wrong people last year who gambled every lunch and its caused major problems. Ive paid back 1000 already and got another 500-600 coming in in next few days. If i lose my job through this im screwed.

He doesn't have any powers at all but the problem is that the risk is that they will just complain to the police.

I am sorry to deliver bad news but realistically if you are convicted of a theft in breach of trust from a relatively vulnerable employer in the sum of £7-£10k then you are going to prison. There is no way around it. There is no realistic expectation of anything else. The only question be how long.

You need to form a judgment over how they would respond if you admitted it and offered to repay. In fairness, they would probably prefer the money back to seeing you in prison so they may agree. You need to be careful about admitting the amount in question. If they cannot prove the sum in question then you may be dealt with for a much smaller amount.

If they will not agree to that then there is no point in admitting to anything. Obviously do not lie but just do not comment.

If the police do become involved then you will have to deal with it. On no account admit the offence to them. Make a no comment interview. There is no benefit to you in admitting the offence in particular the amount.

Do not refuse the solicitor that you will be offered at the police station.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice