75100385

Im trying to claim PPI on behalf of my late husband as well

I'm trying to claim PPI on behalf of my late husband as well as myself. The bank are insisting that I need proof of executor for his estate. He didn't make a will and I haven't needed it for anything else. How do I go about proving that I am the person to deal with his Estate?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Did he have an existing bank account? If so, how was that resolved? Was there a letter of administration please?

Customer:

Hi Alex. We had a joint account, but in addition we had separate ISA's and savings accounts (not much but better than nothing!). When I visited the bank after he passed away, they just transferred everything directly into my account on production of the death certificate and marriage certificate. I have had no need for a letter of administration so far for anything else. Everything else is settled (he passed away in February 2013) If it helps the products under which I reclaiming PPI is for loans - which would have been joint so no issue there I believe, and credit cards, which I believe is the one that they are refusing to deal with, without such a letter of administration or other proof that I am the person who is dealing with his Estate. I hope this helps. Thank you

Alex Watts : As for this bank won't they accept the death certificate pleaseZ.
Customer:

No, I sent that in already, but they want a proof of executor document as well

Alex Watts :

Ok -you need to write and say that Probate was not required given the size of the estate.

Alex Watts :

If they refuse to accept this write and make a formal complaint.

Alex Watts :

Set out that the other banks etc have accepted this.

Alex Watts :

If they still refuse and give you a final response then you can complain to the Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They can investigate the matter and offer a free service. Their website is: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Alex Watts :

Customer:

No, that's brilliant advice thank you, XXXXX XXXXX follow through with that

Customer:

regards, Julie