75100385

Good afternoon, I am being sued by my in laws for monies

Good afternoon,

I am being sued by my in laws for monies they believe I and their daughter owe them. They had their daughter sign a document whilst living with us in Spain. My question is, given that all parties were resident in Spain and a part of the debt occured in Spain will the document be valid in a UK court or should it be refered to the Spanish courts? ( there is a clause in the document stating that it should be considered under British law).

There are further complications but as I am unable to recieve legal aid for this matter I would be very for any assistance you could give. Many Thanks for your help.

Andrew W

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

If it was signed in Spain but states that it would be dealt with by UK law then it is binding in the UK

Alex Watts :

However in order for you to be bound then you have needed to sign the document

Alex Watts :

If you did sign it and your daughter did then proceedings can be brought in the UK

Alex Watts :

So yes, it can be adjudicated in the UK

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today Andrew?

Customer:

Nope that is really helpful, Thanks