13262538

Rights - stand accused of harming a child, the child is in

Customer Question

Rights - stand accused of harming a child, the child is in hospital with a leg injury due to a bouncer, no known violence in the family, no criminal activity against either parent please help
Sharon
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello i am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you tell me a little more. Who is the child (not name but how do you know them), who has accused you of hurting the child and what are you supposed to have done?

JACUSTOMER-vip2fir3- : I am the child's nana & because my daughter looks after her all day & I have her overnight 1 night a week the social worker s have said that we are not allowed to see the child un supervised, they also wouldn't let any one else from the family stay overnight with her in hospital yesterday or today , we have waited all afternoon as after a meeting with police, docs & social workers they were supposed to ring my daughter & let us know what was happening, we have been left with no contact details at all
JACUSTOMER-vip2fir3- : We are supposed to have somehow caused a spiral fracture to her right leg
LondonlawyerJ :

Ok so no one has accused you of doing it social services are drawing an inference from an injury. You refer to the police have you been arrested or interviewed? Has anyone? when did this happen?

JACUSTOMER-vip2fir3- : No one has been arrested the baby's parents were asked to give statements separately police woman said they might get a statement off me in the next couple of weeks & it was yesterday morning my daughter took my granddaughter to hospital cos she knew something was wrong with her leg, she thinks it must have happened while she was in a jumperoo the afternoon before, & because the baby has a bit of a cold she didn't notice her being in any sort of pain ,she took her feeds & slept like usual
JACUSTOMER-vip2fir3- : q
LondonlawyerJ :

OK when you say a statement I expect yu eman an interview under caution. Usually -but not aways- this will happen under arrest. If you are to be interviewed under caution you have a right to free legal advice from a solicitor and to have one present at the interview.

LondonlawyerJ :

I am not sure what question you want me to answer here. Is there anything specific you would like me to deal with?

My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you in what is a terrible situation.
Unless a clear explanation for the injury is identified it is unlikely that the child can return to the care of the parents immediately.
Until a time line for the injury is established you will not be allowed contact with the child - if it becomes clear that the injury occurred at a time when you did not have the child in your care then you can ask for the child to be placed in your care during the ongoing investigations
\Most important of all however is that your daughter gets some legal advice form a Specialist Child Care lawyer - it is free
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details