75100385

If you buy an oil painting of a particular subject (ship) and

If you buy an oil painting of a particular subject (ship) and then buy the copyright to it from the artist, can the artist then make "originals" in oil of the same painting to sell?

Neil

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

No

Alex Watts :

This is because you own copyright of that image so needs your permission

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thanks for the answer. The painting was commissioned by my late father -in -law and the copyright paid for by him. Although he is now deceased, what happens re- copyright/ ie. will his wife own it?

Customer:

He retained the right to use the image of the ship for "any future personal reasons such as worldwide book illustrations, media useage (which will include television,magazine and newspaper articles) and any other relevant requirements". He would inform the new copyright owner when theses facilities were utilised.

Customer:

He is now selling "original" oil paintings of exactly the same picture.

Customer:

Thanks, Neil

Alex Watts : The copyright passes to the estate and is invested in that.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Customer:

thank you

Customer:

neil