LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My father-in-law died recently and his house and 4 acres of

My father-in-law died recently and his house and 4 acres of land is being sold and being divided according to his will.

A buyer has been found for the property and land. However, a farming neighbour was permitted to cut the grass on this land to use for his own farm animals, and in turn would return the favour by other means (not cash) to my father-in-law.

Now he is wants either £30,000 for the land saying the land should belong to him.

The sale may fall through because of this. Does he have any right to the land?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello. I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

What reason does the farming neighbour give for claiming that the land is his and that he is entitled to £30,000? Your question discloses no basis for such an assertion? Do you have a solicitor acting for you in the sale? Have you discussed this with him?

Customer:

£30,000 I think is an arbitrary figure. Not sure why exactly he feels he is entitled to the land, but as the owner is dead I think he's trying to get whatever he can, and I have a feeling he is being egged on by someone else. To get him off our backs I said we would offer £3,000 just to that it doesn't stop the sale of the property.

LondonlawyerJ :

If you have a solicitor acting in the sale have you asked his advice. It seems you are the victims of a nasty little opportunistic scam.