12826847

is it illegal to read stories online about underage (mainly

is it illegal to read stories online about underage sex (mainly incest) in the uk?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think that I have become addicted to reading these stories online and can't seem to stop.

Are you looking at any indecent photographs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I mainly go on three websites. One site that I go on does have some cartoon pictures with the stories underneath and the sites don't. However I have also downloaded some books from Amazon.com, to my kindle but can't remember if they contained images as I have deleted them from my recycle bin.

In short, unless you are actually looking at prohibited images there isn't going to be much that can be done about this.

There are offences under the Obscene Publications legislation but they relate to the publisher not the reader.

In fairness, though I have to say that I do not thing that cartoon captions do amount to an 'indecent image'. It seems to me that they do not involve images of people but I have known prosecutions based upon this basis.

If you have deleted them anyway though its quite unlikely that anything would come of this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice. I will try and fight my addiction by spending less time on the internet. Just to clarify as long as there are no images of real people, I haven't broken the law?

No. I have known prosecutions on the basis of characters from the Simpsons.

If there are depiction of a prohibted kind then that would offend.

I must admit my reading of the law is that they are not 'pornographic' unless they involve actual people but the Crown do regularly prosecute on that basis.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/