LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hi I got in a situation where someone hit their wife and then

Customer Question

I got in a situation where someone hit their wife and then came at me so I hit them. The police came and went then he moved at me again and I hit him, unfortunately on camera but it was clear he went for me first.

So I went to court and there was no trial but I was not found guilty or innocent.

At the time I was happy to walk away given my past but am now wondering how I get rid of this?

The couple have left the country as for as I have heard

Please help with this
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello. I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

If you were found not guilty I am not sure what you need to get rid of. Please tell me how I can help.

JACUSTOMER-wokq0bny- : Hi
JACUSTOMER-wokq0bny- : I was not found either guilty or not guilty...but I cannot remember what they called it. The charges were not dropped though, there was just no judgement???
JACUSTOMER-wokq0bny- : Thanks
LondonlawyerJ :

When did this happen and were you represented by a solicitor?

LondonlawyerJ :

When a case ends without a trial and without an admission of guilt what has usually happened is that the prosecution have decided not to proceed. In this situation either a case is discharged and a not guilty verdict is entered or the case is left to lie on the file. If it is the latter then the prosecution could be re-opened but only with the permission of the hIgh Court. It is very very unusual for cases which have been left to lie on the file to be re-opened.

LondonlawyerJ :

Occasionally cases will be stayed (eg if there has been an abuse of process by the prosecution) but this unusual and the effect is to put the prosection into a state of permanent limbo.

LondonlawyerJ :

The likelihood is that there is no outstanding case and obviously no criminal record from it so probably nothing to get rid of.