Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Joint property ownership. If one party, who lives in the property.

Customer Question

Joint property ownership. If one party, who lives in the property. Finances all improvements
to the property i.e. New fitted kitchen & fitted bathroom, install new plumbing & central heating, electricaly rewire property, install patio doors, replace garage, build a porch, carry out all maintenance repairs & building insurance, & over a 20yr period.
The second party has not financialy contributed anything.
Can the first party reclaim all financial outgoings, on the sale of property.
No pre-written or verbal agreement ever made relating to this matter
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask the nature of the relationship between party 1 (who lives in the property) and party 2 please?

Joshua :

Did the parties enter into any form of declaration of trust or other form of agreement as to how they would own equity in the property?

Joshua :

Is there or has the been a mortgage on the property?