75100385

Myself and my wife operate our home cleaning business as a

Myself and my wife operate our home cleaning business as a partnership. We also operate a leaflet distribution business which distributes leaflets for the cleaning business and other local businesses.

To keep our accounting as simple as possible,and because the two businesess are share some of the same resources we operate both businesses under the same partnership as far as our tax return and accounts are concerned.

So essentially we have one business, with two "trading styles". ie "john and mary's home cleaning" and "john and mary's leaflet distribution" both trading styles of "the john and mary partnership".

My question is how should we be describing the two businesses on our invoices and paperwork etc.
can i just invoice in the name of "john and mary's leaflet distribution"? do i need to add somewhere something like "john and mary's leaflet distribution is a trading style of the john and mary partnership"

Alex Watts : No.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Because you are not a limited company and a partnership instead, you don't need to disclose the true identify as such.
Alex Watts : If you were using different names and owned by a limited company you would need to inform customers that the business was Ltd and what the name was.
Alex Watts : As a partnership the owners and in effect you and wife.
Alex Watts : As such you don't need to put trading style.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

yes please could you clarify exactly what i need to put on my invoices.

Customer:

can i invoice as "john and mary's leaflet distribution" even though there is no entitiy registered with hmrc in this name?

Alex Watts : Yes you can.
Alex Watts : You are a partnership and can call yourself whatever you want.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?
Customer:

yes, thanks and so do i need to put my name and wifes name on the invoices too? or is "john and mary's leaflet distribution" enough? i thought there was some kind of requirement that people need to be able to identify exactly who they are dealing with?

Alex Watts : You need to put a trading name and address on invoices yes.
Alex Watts : That can be yours or your wife.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
Customer:

no its not really getting any clearer. what "trading name" can i use. does it have to be my name or my wifes name? or can it be "j&m leaflet distributon?"

Alex Watts : You can use any name you wish because you are not a Ltd company
Alex Watts : So yes you can use j&m leaflet distribution.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify it for you?
Customer:

i think so. so just to be clear.

Customer:

1. i need a "trading name" but it doesn't need to be either my name or my wifes name.

Customer:

2. the trading name can be any name i choose

Alex Watts :

1. Correct

Alex Watts :

2. Yes

Alex Watts :

But you couldn't call yourselves LLoyds Bank of course for example

Customer:

3. i can use as many trading names as i want and file the accounts to hmrc under the same business partnership

Alex Watts :

3. Yes

Customer:

ok brilliant. that's all very easy :)

Customer:

thank you alex

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/