29905560

what is the correct procedure to secure copyrights for both

what is the correct procedure to secure copyrights for both book rights and film rights for a book I have written and am looking to find a publisher for.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I presume you are the original author of the book ad it is all your own work?

Customer:

Yes it is a true story about my wild cat

Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

The copyrights to your original work are automatically created, meaning that as soon as you create something you are automatically the copyright owner and there is no legal requirement on you to register this anywhere to be able to rely on these rights. All that is generally required is that you are able to prove you were the original creator of the work – this can be done by having the original transcripts, any electronically saved documents for example which can prove you created the work on a specific date so that this can be traced back to who created it and when.

There are companies out there that can try and offer a service to protect your copyright but that is nothing more than them having details of what you had created and holding it securely with details of when it was created so that in the event of a dispute you can ask them to prove that you had created the work and when this was done. However, legally that is not required and as mentioned the copyright over the work is automatically given to you as soon as you have created the work in question, as long as you can prove that you had created it and when it was done.

Customer:

Will I still be secure is someone takes the story line from my book and recreates it in a different format eg using a different animal or a different situation? Also I have created this book as a Word for Windows file if I copy it onto a tog will that tog be evidence it is my book?

Ben Jones :

Sorry what do you mean by tog?

Customer:

Sorry Ben am not very computer wise...I mean if I save it onto a tog (if that is what it is called) the little stick things you put into the side of your computer and can save a file on.

Ben Jones :

ah a memory stick...that should not change matters - when the original file was created the computer would have saved certain information about it such as when it was initial created and so on - this would transfer wherever you upload it. You may also wish to consider getting a printed copy in case there are technological issues, which can happen, as you don't want to lose the computer copies if they are the only ones you have.

Customer:

Am I better printing it off in a hard copy and getting it dated and maybe witnessed but if so will friends witnessing it be good enough or do I need professionals to witness it?

Ben Jones :

What some people do is they send a copy of the printed work to themselves with a special tracked delivery that can show when it was delivered then keep the sealed envelope and if needed they can produce it and show that at a certain date this work was already in existence

Customer:

That works well in the Uk but at the moment I am in Spain and am not sure if that is going to be secure enough. However will printing it and signing it be recognised in a court of law?

Ben Jones :

Yes it can be, as mentioned there is no legal procedure required for this as long as you can show that you were the original creator and when this was actually done

Ben Jones :

And there are plenty of postage options worldwide that are secure and can work just as well

Customer:

Thanks for you advice Ben. Lastly I want to keep a copy of your response how do I print off a copy of this chat we have had? Again I am not a computer expert

Ben Jones :

You have a few options:
a) If you see a 'share' button and hover over it you can see the option to print.
b) You could copy and paste this conversation into a Word document or equivalent. You can then save and/or print it and refer to it in the future as necessary.
c) This conversation will be stored in your account on this site so you may return to view it or do any of the above at any time

Customer:

Ok thanks Ben you will get some good stars from me.

Ben Jones :

many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX best

Customer:

how do i score the expert credit I am trying to click a face but I can't

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'