Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

In a building where there are 84 flats and all have a share

Customer Question

In a building where there are 84 flats and all have a share of the freehold. How many votes are required in an AGM to block a projetc going forward?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

would I be correct to presume that each tenant owns a share in a limited company which in turn owns the freehold please? This would be the usual arrangement for such situations?

JACUSTOMER-0gewfq9n- : tthe answer to your question is yes
JACUSTOMER-0gewfq9n- :

tthe answer to your question is yes

Joshua :

Thank you. A simple majority vote is required in the model form of articles for the company however it is possible to change this.

Joshua :

If the company has not changed the model articles then a majority of attendees and proxy votes will carry a motion providing a minimum number attend (this is called a quorum) however it is important to check that there have been no changes to the company constitution (the articles) to vary this. You can either ask the company secretary or you can obtain a copy of the articles from Companies House to confirm.

Joshua :

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/toolsToHelp/findCompanyInfo.shtml

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?