tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hi, I am a recent below knee amputee. I am now only allowed

I am a recent below knee amputee. I am now only allowed to drive an automatic vehicle.
I have a manual drive car on HP and I wish to make a Voluntary Termination of this agreement as it is now of no use to me. I wish to get an automatic car.
I am 25 months into a 60 month repayment scheme.
What are my chances and would a solicitor applying to the finance company on my behalf be of help?

Peter
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

How much was the car you purchased please?

Customer:

Total HP amount - 10,595.80

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then you're entitled to return the vehicle at any time, but you may have to pay for the remaining instalments to make half of the amount due under the whole agreement.

tdlawyer :

You may be able to agree something with the HP company though, meaning you might have to pay less.

tdlawyer :

Ideally, if you can sell the vehicle, and use that to pay off the HP (depends on what the vehicle etc. is worth) that might be another option. Obviously, you can only sell it if the HP is fully paid off, either by paying it off before the sale or by promising the HP company you'll pay the total balance due on sale.

Customer:

My question was:

Customer:

My question was: Will a solicitor help my cause?

tdlawyer :

Okay.

Customer:

My question was: Will a solicitor help my cause with the finance company?

tdlawyer :

It's always useful to get a solicitor to look over a contract and give you their view on it's effect etc.

tdlawyer :

I'm not convinced they would necessarily get a better deal for you though, the key is likely to be in getting the best sale price agreed in principle for the vehicle to be sold.

Customer:

Thank you - but my question was: Might a solicitor help my cause with the finance company ? (as I do not have the funds to pay it off). I know the rest. - Peter

tdlawyer :

Hi Peter - in answer to that specific point, I think a solicitor might be able to help you with the finance company, yes.

Customer: