tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I have just signed a as a guarantor for rental for my daughter

Customer Question

I have just signed a as a guarantor for rental for my daughter within the hour. The property is due to complete on Monday. Can I pull out?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Why do you want to pull out of the guarantee please?

Customer:

I believe the property is too small for my daughter and friend. I have only just viewed it myself as initially my daughters friend father was due to be the guarantor

tdlawyer :

Okay. Can she pull out of the letting agreement?

Customer:

She and her friend have not signed. They are due to be handed the keys on Monday and sign then.

tdlawyer :

Then you've not guaranteed anything as yet, so long as they do not sign.

tdlawyer :

You need to be careful you've not guaranteed the other girls too though, and not just your own daughter.

tdlawyer :

You will have guaranteed a certain thing - it might be defined as all sums due under the tenancy agreement between (a) and (b) and (c) and (d) etc ... or it could just be sums due to (a) by (b).

tdlawyer :

It really does depend what you've agreed to in the PG.

tdlawyer :

Normally, though, there is no cooling off period when signing these things.

tdlawyer :

But in your case, it might be that the thing you've guaranteed has not yet arisen.

Customer:

I signed the deed of guarantee. They have to sign on Monday together as I understand then the keys are released.

tdlawyer :

Then if you can stop them signing and entering into an agreement at all, that should be like you pulling out yourself.

Customer:

Ok I will speak with the girls later. I have emailed the letting agent with an hour of signing stating that the agreement has not been signed by the tennabts

tdlawyer :

Yes, always worth trying to revoke and see if they agree to it, but normally, once signed, there is no right to revoke.

Customer:

So legally if the girls do not sign is the contract non void. The property has not been entered I only signed 50 minutes ago.

tdlawyer :

If you've guaranteed something that has not yet come into existence, and doesn't exist, then you should be okay.

Customer:

Ok Thank you for your assistance

tdlawyer :

Thank you. Are you happy with the service today please?

Customer:

Yes