How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 33901
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

How long can I leave the UK without requiring permission from

Customer Question

How long can I leave the UK without requiring permission from the father ?'
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My work will take me overseas for a period of 8 weeks. I wish to bring my son with me, and undertake a period of homeschooling with a tutor . He is 10 years old, and I feel he needs to be with me, his step father and baby brother. His biological father is currently withholding permission for me to take this job, even though he himself will be abroad during this period if time. My son would need to be put in boarding school if I cannot take him. My intention is to return to the UK after the 8 week period, and put him back into his current school. I am not in a position to refuse this job, and I need to see if if can do this trip in shorter periods of time that fall within the legally permitted period that I may be absent without requiring consent from my sons father if he becomes very unreasonable.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

If the biological father also has parental responsibility and no court orders are in place about the child, you cannot take the child abroad without his permission or approval from the court.

If there is residence order in your favour, you may take the child abroad for up to a month on holiday without his consent.

In your case, you should apply for a specific issues order from the court if he does not consent as you wish to take the child abroad for non holiday reasons and for almost 2 months.

See here for the process for applying for the court order

Hope this helps

Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
For clarity since you have a Residence Order you can take the child out of the country for up to 28 days at a time for ANY purpose provided you do not interfere with contact arrangements
On that basis assuming contact is not an issue and you can guarantee that the school place will still be available on your return then provided you have a short trip home in the middle of the eight weeks you will be within the rules.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice