75100385

is there a legal requirement for a golf club to provide a minimum

is there a legal requirement for a golf club to provide a minimum number of disabled parking bays based on the total number of available parking spaces

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

No

Alex Watts :

The Equality Act 2010 states that they must make reasonable adjustments

Alex Watts :

But there is no set number of parking bays based on parking spaces

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

I should add. The BSI British Standards, "Code of Practice for the design of buildings and their approaches to meet the needs of disabled people", recommends that commercial premises with designated off-street parking have one space for every employee who is a disabled motorist, plus 5% of the total capacity for visiting motorists and a further 4% should be enlarged standard spaces.

Alex Watts :

There is no guidance as to how the BSI Standards would be applied in the context of the Equality Act but they are likely to be persuasive and a good reference point for a Court as to what is reasonable provision.

Customer:

What is meant reasonable adjustments?

Alex Watts :

That is a matter of interpretation

Alex Watts :

What is reasonable for say, Tesco is different to what is expected of a sole shop keeper

Customer:

There are around 500 members in my golf club with about 50 parking spaces but only 1 disabled parking bay Would this be considered reasonable?

Alex Watts :

It may do

Alex Watts :

It makes no difference how many members there are.

Alex Watts :

Please see the guidance of the BSI above

Alex Watts :

They suggest 5%

Alex Watts :

So that would be 2 spaces

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Alex Watts :

If not might I invite you to rate my service, if the system wont let you please tell me

Alex Watts :

If you need more info please click reply

Customer:

Would the BSI standard apply in this case as it is not strictly commercial property nor are the members employees. I am thinking along the lines of the spirit on which the code of practice was published i.e help for disabled persons

Alex Watts :

Yes the spirit would apply.

Alex Watts :

But again the BSI standard is only guidance

Alex Watts :

There is no law or regulation that sets the number of spaces

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

Yes thank you ! I will proceed along these lines

Alex Watts :

Great.

Alex Watts :

If you can't rate my answer please let me know

Customer:

I

Alex Watts :

?

Customer:

I tried to print our conversation especially the paragraph re BSI but only your first answer appeared Please advise

Customer:

I will refer to the BSI publication for clarification Thank you for your help