Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

hi my central heating has been condemned due to a hole in the

hi my central heating has been condemned due to a hole in the flue, so the whole system has to be redone [was put in late 80s so pipes no good for new systems]. i am a widow retired only have my pension a small savers credit pension each week plus a very small private pension £13 a month. is there any form of help i can get with the cost, have had 2 estimates so far between £3500-6500.the thing i think will hold me from getting anything is i have 2 working grandsons living with me. would be grateful for any advice, thank you
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

You should get in touch with your electricity supplier and see if they are covered by the "Green Deal".

The Green Deal aims to fund energy-saving upgrades for your home without any upfront costs. Instead, the costs are added to your energy bills and staggered over time, like a loan.

So if you want to replace your boiler, your best bet is to go down this route by using a Green Deal loan. If your current electricity provider is not covered under the Green Deal, you can switch to a supplier who is covered.

You’ll still be charged for the improvements, but the cost will be repaid over time as an additional charge on your energy bill. However, the ‘golden rule’ of the Green Deal is that your repayments will have to be less than the money you will save on your energy bills.

The Green Deal is essentially a loan from the private companies installing these energy efficiency measures. There’s a maximum amount of £6,500 per household and, crucially, this is tied to the home rather than the owner, so if you move house the debt is passed on to whoever lives there next.

The loan is then paid back through the electricity bill over a 25-year period.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards
AL