Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

my neighbour as erected a porch at the back of his house and

Customer Question

my neighbour as erected a porch at the back of his house and he has fastened it to my new extension, he never asked my permission and on talking to my builder he has said that the buildings integrity has been compromised because they have drilled through the pebble dashing which acts as barrier to prevent damp and the like.What actions can i take i have tried to speak to him but to no avail he just fobs me off HELP PLEASE
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

Did you builder give an estimate of how much it would cost to repair/make good the damage?

JACUSTOMER-by5sa92d- : He never quoted a price he said he could only view any damage caused once the porch was taken down
Alex Hughes :

It appears your neighbour has failed to comply with the Party Wall etc Act 1996 which governs the steps your neighbour should have taken before erecting the porch. Failure to comply with the Party Wall Act means that you could take your neighbourto court and obtain an injunction to remove the porch. Also your neighbour may be liable for causing loss and damage as a result of thr works. You should write to your neighbour to explain the legal position and that you are considering legal action. This may persuade your neighbour to engage with you in discussing a solution.