Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hello. I am a 55 year old male and i work for a food manufacturing

Hello.
I am a 55 year old male and i work for a food manufacturing company in Wiltshire. I have a photo id card for access to enter the premises which i agree with. The company is in the process of putting up on walls information boards which includes an employees job description along with a photograph. I would prefer for personal reasons for my photograph not to be displayed. I was wondering if i have the right to decline this request? Please could you tell me if this is or not a reasonable request from my employer. Any work related tasks, training or courses i am more than happy to undertake without complaint, i just feel that this is going to far...

I look forward to hearing from you
John
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

What is your objection to this?

Customer:

Hell.

Alex Hughes :

Sorry - - I don't understand what you mean by 'hell'.

Alex Hughes :

Do you still need help?

Customer:

Sorry, spelling mistake. I have a birth make on my scalp line which i keep covered up with a cap for most of the time. I do have a stigma about it, and i would prefer not to have a photograph of my face displayed on a notice board for others to see. I know it might seem trivial, but to me it is a real issue. Can i say no to this request?

Alex Hughes :

Yes you can. Your employer has a duty to avoid any form of discrimination/harassment/victimisation in the work place. If you feel that displaying this photo will result in negative behaviour from other employees and result in the behaviour I've just mentioned you can ask your employer not to display the photo. If they refuse your request your next step would be to lodge a formal grievance although once you've aired your concern they will hopefully discuss a suitable compromise.