75100385

We bought a house in a very run down condition and it required

We bought a house in a very run down condition and it required complete rewiring. I am about to make the final payment to the electrician and find that he is charging me for connecting the kitchen appliances.I did not think there would be a separate price for connecting. I thought it would be part of the total cost. Is he within his rights to make this charge?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Did the original price include this service? I assume they were disconnected as part of the rewire please?
Customer:

As I am an elderly lady, one of my sons dealt with the electrician. He cannot remember any discussion with the electrician about a re-connection charge. In fact, he is certain it was never mentioned.

Customer:

RE-reading your question. Yes, he did disconnect the power in the house....the electrician, I mean.

Alex Watts : I can't see how they can charge you,
Alex Watts : This is because surely if they disconnected it as part of the rewire then one would expect to it to be part of the rewire itself.
Alex Watts : Therefore unless it was agreed otherwise you can clearly consider this is part of the rewire.
Alex Watts : You should refuse to pay and if they want to charge refuse to pay.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Thank you Alex. It was an expensive re-wire but the cost of same was agreed. I am relieved that I am able to stand my ground where any further charges are concerned..

Alex Watts : Indeed,
Alex Watts : If I could ask to you rate my service, if the system won't let you please let me know