12826847

On behalf of my son who is 21 (I am his mum): My son was assaulted

Customer Question

On behalf of my son who is 21 (I am his mum): My son was assaulted 2 weeks ago and ended up in hospital with a fractured scull. Friday night, unprovoked attack. There is a police investigation going on for grievous bodily harm. Unfortunately my son is reluctant to press charges as he feels the perpetrators will not get punished. He is out of hospital and it seems he now knows who his attackers are. His injury was serious and will leave him in a vulnerable state for years. From a legal point of view he is an adult and i cannot do much to help, but I thought it might be wise to contact a contact a solicitor for some professional advice. I would appreciate your help and advice. We are looking for a (possibly pro-bono) solicitor in or around Bracknell (Berkshire). Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

What would you like to achieve for your son (bearing in mind he does not wish to take any action)?

JACUSTOMER-v1l1il13- :

Ideally, I would like to see that the perpetrators get justice. I think his reluctance to take action is based on some ingrained disbelief in the system. He is still in a vulnerable state and it is difficult for me to extract information from him, but I am concerned about him pursuing revenge in unlawful ways and I would like to help him with some sound advice. I am not sure what I would like to achieve, but I would like HIM to speak to a professional, clarify the facts and situation and possibly het persuaded to take action.

JACUSTOMER-v1l1il13- :

I meant 'get persuaded' apologies

JACUSTOMER-v1l1il13- :

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I am willing to provide as much details as necessary in order to get some professional legal advice.

Alex Hughes :

Please bear with me while I draft an answer.

JACUSTOMER-v1l1il13- :

of course, apologies for pressing you

Alex Hughes :

No problem.

Alex Hughes :

Your son has to decide whether he wishes to seek professional help and/or assistance from the police. Unfortunately nobody can take action without his agreement. But if the police can independently identify the perpetrators they could be arrested and charged with assault/affray/threatening behaviour.

Alex Hughes :

I cannot recommend a solicitor but if you contact the Law Society on 0207 242 1222 or www.lawsociety.org.uk they will be able to refer you to a specialist lawyer in your area.

Alex Hughes :

Many solicitors will be happy to offer an initial consultation free of charge to discuss the options although if you want to take action you may have to pay for their service.

Alex Hughes :

I guess the most important thing is this: your son, as the victim of violence, is entitled to seek compensation from a Government fund called the Criminal Injuries Compensation Award - but he will not get anything unless he cooperates with the police. A head injury resultingina hospital stay is a serious matter and could attract a substantial award to help him move on with his life.

Alex Hughes :

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Alex, thank you. Your response was prompt and quick, which I appreciate. Some of your answers I found to be self evident e.g. 'Your son has to decide whether he wishes to seek professional help and/or assistance from the police. Unfortunately nobody can take action without his agreement'. I was asking for your professional advice as a mother trying to argue and convince her son of the reasonableness of pursuing a legal case rather than abandoning it as an easy way out. I was asking my questions on the premise that my son IS READY TO SPEAK TO THE POLICE AND IS READY TO SEEK REDRESS by legal means (something I am working on). I would have expected your service to be able to recommend a solicitor. The only helpful advice so far is to seek redress via the government criminal injuries compensation fund. I paid for the highest 'level of detail' service (£49.00), but I am sorry to say I did not find the advice very satisfactory. Too brief, too sketchy. Kind regards.

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear that.

But ultimately its your sons decision to pursue action or not.

Solicitors advise - and, of course, the advice to your son is that he should report the matter to police so the attackers can be brouht to justice - but he must make the decision of his own free will.

I cannot recommend a solicitor - there are 130,000 of us in England and Wales. Going to the Law Society is the most independent and most objective way of finding somebody suitable to your needs.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Alex, thank you. I can see that have not paid enough for your expert attention. The matter HAS been reported to the police, and the police ARE dealing with it. I mentioned earlier that the police are already carrying out an investigation. All I wanted to find out was what my son's options were (provided he supported the investigation). As you would understand, the police are reluctant to discuss anything with us, with my son being considered 'an adult'. This is why I contacted you and expected to get some professional, helpful (and respectful) advice. Most of the information you provided can be googled for free. I offered to provide more details, if necessary, for you to be able to give us a detailed and informative answer - you did not ask for any. I am sorry to disappoint you, but I am not a satisfied customer. I am exiting this chat, thank you. Regards.

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
OK. I'm sorry you feel that way. All the best.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I can confirm that the answer you have received is correct and complete.

We can only tell you the legal position.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you both for your time. My fault, I should have read the disclaimer more carefully. I have no further questions at this point. I will follow your advice and contact an attorney. Kind regards.

Please remember to leave feedback for my colleague's answer.