Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Hi do uk petrol stations have to show the maximum height of

Hi do uk petrol stations have to show the maximum height of the canopy. Many thanks Paul.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I was driving a H.G.V today and it hit the canopy of a petrol station I was going to fill up in. The canopy did not have any sign showing the maximum height so like bridges I thought that it was at least 16" high. There was only very small amount of damage to the canopy and the lorry has no damage. Can the garage claim for the repair cost from my insurance. Many thanks Paul.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK. I am double checking the regulations & will come back to you shortly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi what info do you need. ps my lorry is 3.93 meters or 12 foot 11 inches high. Many thanks Paul

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

I have looked at the 'The Health and Safety (Safety Signs and Signals) Regulations 1996' and the 'Petrol filling stations: Construction and operation guidance' issued by the Health and Safety Executive. Unfortunately there is no reference to maximum height signs required at petrol stations.