How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alice H Your Own Question

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Had an alleged speed on Motorway traffic control section (50)

Customer Question

Had an alleged speed on Motorway traffic control section (50) where camera shows 61mph. I am registered keeper and required under Road Traffic Act to provide details of driver. I have questioned the two people in the car at the time (I was not) and conducted with reasonable diligence (as prescribed in (3), (4) of the Act. The result is I can guess who was driving but the two drivers switched frequently on a long trip (6 hours) and could not say geographically where they were driving so could not say if it was in Derbyshire where the alleged offence was recorded. I requested the photo from Police but you cannot recognise any human features.

Can I reply that I have conducted reasonable diligence and the two drivers cannot say with certainty who was driving? Will this lead to me being summonsed as the keeper? Any other advice, I do nit feel I can with no reasonable doubt name the driver at the time of the alleged offence. Bryan
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Do you and the others have a clean licence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One driver is clean (who was in the car at the time), The other in the car at the time has 3 points (SP30) and I have 6 points but was not in the car (proof).

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Well obviously you need to avoid being prosecuted for an offence that you did not commit so its essential that you make it clear as soon as possible that you were not the driver on the date in question.

In respect of the other two potential drivers my view is that you should name them both to the police if you cannot specifiy which one committed the offence. If you simply write back and say you cannot identify the driver the police will probably prosecute you for the offence - that's not a risk you want to take.

Sadly there is no legislation or case law on this exact point. So the best option is to put forward the true expalantion of the circumstances which is that two people were sharing the driving but you have not been able to say with certainty who committed the offence because you were not there.

Once you've laid down your defence even if you are prosecuted for speeding you can rely on alibi. If they prosecute you for failing to name the driver you will also have a defence under the Act as you've mentioned previously.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bryan

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions