Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

I have been arrested on suspicion of a historical crime 50

I have been arrested on suspicion of a historical crime 50 years ago and tho I had a solicitor present ate the police station under legal aid I don't know who to talk to about this situation as the legal aid solicitor can only help me AFTER I am charged sometime in the future. who can help my stressed out partner and me NOW.

I am innocent

ken xxx

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name isXXXXX

I am London based and specialise in criminal law.

I'd be happy to answer your questions.

What would you like to know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

who or what organisation is able to help me to prove my innocence now before they take me to court?

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
You need a solicitor firstly.

If you tell me which area you live I can give you a list of specialist criminal solicitors in your area.

You can pay privately OR apply for legal aid.

Legal aid at the police station is free. Legal aid for court is means tested which means the Court will need details of your income and outgoings.

If legal aid is granted you may have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your defence but this will be cheaper than paying privately.

Your solicitor will arrange the services of a barrister who will also be paid under legal aid.

If you win you will get your contributions back. If you lose you will not and may have to pay a little more depending on your capital resources.

I can explain the steps at the first hearing through to trial if you wish - please let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry but I know this and if you read my question you would have understood that I have a solicitor but cant afford the £150 per hour as I am a 73 year old pensioner and have no extra income. I was hoping you would be able to guide me to an organisation that can help.

I don't want to wait until I am charged and have a court date and minimum time to arrange my defence. nor do we need the stress of waiting to see what happens

ken xxx

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I fully understand this is a stressful time for you but in order to help you through this you have to bear with me.

Now, I said you need a solicitor.

The reasons is this _ only a solicitor will be able to liaise with the police and court (if it goes that far).

You asked for an organisation that could help.

The charitable ones such as CAB cannot. They are not lawyers and have no rights of audience.

Only a specialist solicitor will be able to guide you through this.

Depending on your circumstances you could get legal aid. If you let me know what your income and savings are I will tell you whether you're eligible.

Also if you tell me where you are I can point you to a solicitor who can help.

There is no need to pay £150 for a solicitor. If you are on low income you will get help free of charge.

1. What are you financial circumstances?

2. Which area do you live?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your clear and concise answer. I am on pension credit and live in Sapiston, near bury st Edmunds Suffolk but a lot closer to Thetford, Norfolk as I am near the border.

My solicitor seems very good but did not tell me I may get legal aid even tho I have not been charged. Is that so?

Thanks so far

ken xxx

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I know the area well.

If the solicitor has a legal aid contract he is OBLIGED to tell you that you can apply for legal aid. The fact that he has not done so is not helpful.

As you receive pension credit you will get free legal aid for advice and assistance.

The advice and assistance will cover meeting you, taking your instructions, advising and liaising with the police about the investigation.

Whilst the limit for legal aid £300 this can be extended by the Legal Aid Agency if more work is required. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you will get a specialist solicitor on legal aid.

If the worst comes to the worst and you're charged you will also be able to apply for legal aid for representation in Court. Again this will be free because of your pension credit.

There are two very good firms that I know personally who will be happy to see you and discuss this matter under the legal aid scheme:

Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I noticed that you left a 'poor' rating. I am happy to help you further with this problem but kindly review the rating in the meantime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For the attention of Alex Hughes
As a matter of interest MCP law dealt with my first case and though in general the were all very polite and helpful when it came to my crown court appearance the Barrister they hired/used was ineffectual, did not read the previous evidence or notes and had the temerity during my defence to get angry over something he had not read. He then strode angrily across to me in the dock and demanded why I had not told him something in these notes. At the time I was distressed and could not think straight and did not even know I had been convicted and sent to jail, until the court bailiff alongside me told me so. for this reason I could not use or trust them again.I will contact Levy and see what they have to say. Thanks

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear about MCP.

Did you appeal your last conviction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Problem is if I give you an excellent rating I have to pay again and can't afford this

ken guy